Saturday, April 19, 2008

Where does it start?



At various times in my life, I've prayed that God would bring people into my life that would challenge me and give me an opportunity to exhibit the love of Christ in their lives, who might otherwise not know about Him. I began praying this prayer because although I loved my work in youth ministry, the majority of the kids in my youth group came from two-parent homes, stable families. They shared meals together, supported one another and were generally functional and happy. God blessed me with these kids and I hope I reciprocated in my relationships with them. However, sometimes I really wanted to be able to influence someone for God who didn't already have other people in their life already doing that. What I mean is, the church hired me to build on the foundation of faith that my youth group kids received from their families. I wanted the opportunity to help kids who didn't have that advantage get to know Christ.

This is one prayer that God always answered for me. These relationships became some of biggest challenges and biggest heartaches and some of my greatest joys. Going to church on Sunday and enjoying the fellowship of other believers and sharing the common Love of Christ that we have for one another, bearing one another's burdens, lifting one another up... these are all wonderful gifts. However, it is quite a special thing to give a taste of that unconditional love to someone who has no concept of being loved like that. I think that is what Christ gave to those people that mainstream society discounted. They were surprised by love. It caught them off guard. They'd been conditioned to not receive it from "normal people". It still happens today.

It is an easy thing to love someone who shares your values and loves you in a way you recognize and accept. Can I accomplish the difficult task of learning how to love the unloved?

No comments: